The Sealladh Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sealladh Alliance

TH€ HÿßÕRÎÅÑ ÃG£

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
Callesto
This Conan find amazed me... I_vote_lcapThis Conan find amazed me... I_voting_barThis Conan find amazed me... I_vote_rcap 
Psykhe
This Conan find amazed me... I_vote_lcapThis Conan find amazed me... I_voting_barThis Conan find amazed me... I_vote_rcap 
Faucon
Mani929
shemeitt
Simage
Snowfire
Majah
Nancy the fancy
Selona Deshret

This Conan find amazed me...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Simage

Simage

This Conan find amazed me... Empty
PostSubject: This Conan find amazed me...   This Conan find amazed me... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 10:37 pm

...there were Roy Thomas storylines conceived by Micheal Moorecock that concerned Conan's encounters with Elric of Melnibone' and the Hyrkanian war.

The Chronicles of Conan, Vol. 3: The Monster of the Monoliths and Other Stories

...I highly doubt this is anything resembling "cannon" at all (since REH didnt write it), but I couldn't think of where else to put it.

Last edited by Simage on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wulfgar

Wulfgar

PostSubject: Re: This Conan find amazed me...   This Conan find amazed me... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Conan and Elric of Melnibone??? 2 of my favorite S&S characters together in one place??? Wow, only in marvel comics!

It's kinda funny now that I think of it, b/c they are almost polar opposites. Elric is the ultimate tragic antihero who has a refined sense of morality (at least in respect to his peers) and Conan is more of the rough around the edges imperfect hero. Elric is physically weak and uses drugs and sorcery to achieve his goals, is entralled to fate and usually fails everything he tries to do (still love him, though), and Conan is physically powerful, the peak of human athletic ability and strength, and defies fate, using his wits, reflexes, and strength of will to overcome just about any obstacle. Both of them do have strong wills and continue on no matter what the odds, though, and I guess that's one of the things I like most about the chars; they never give up, even in the face of gods, demons, or a 'predetermined' fate.

I do like comics, too; I don't have many, but I am always looking for more. I have some Conan, Wolverine, Death Dealer, Robotech, and misc other stuff. I'm not the avid collector; I usually just wait until I hit the bookstores or comic book store and just buy when I see something I like, but I may have to try to find this book. Seems like I've heard of it sometime before, but never came across it yet.
Back to top Go down
Simage

Simage

PostSubject: Re: This Conan find amazed me...   This Conan find amazed me... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 3:19 pm

...a point of order here. When Elric DOES succeed...the price of that success is always very high though...aka the death of Moonglum (the only person he ever called "friend" I think) on Stormbringer to have the strength to blow the Horn of Law. Of course my favorite and most hated line in "Stormbringer" when the black iron blade takes the life of the eternal champion Elric..."Farewell, friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!"...such a tragic irony in those words.

I had heard rumors of the crossover for years, but could never find it. One of the proposed theories (among the S&S crowd) is that since the age of Melnibone' comes after the Hyborian age (with the island that is now England being known as Melnibone') that the Melniboneans were descended from one of the races in the "Conan" age. Could it be possible that REH and Micheal Moorecock were on the same page as far as S&S is concerned?
Back to top Go down
Wulfgar

Wulfgar

PostSubject: Re: This Conan find amazed me...   This Conan find amazed me... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 9:30 pm

I always thought that the way the Hyperboreans are described in some Conan stories as tall, pale, gaunt, white haired reavers that were entralled to powerful witches/sorcery reminded me of Elric... Of course, as attractive as this connection is, Elric was an albino aberration among his people, and other Melnibonians had different appearance like his cousin Yyrkoon was described, for one, as having black hair (and possibly pale skin), I believe.

Also, I recently found out that the Hyperboreans as most people know them - as I described them above, were not from REH writings, but rather from pastiche authors like Lin Carter/L.Sprague De Camp though the original author to describe them escapes me.

I think the only Hyperborean that is described by Howard is in Tower of the Elephant, and I need to go back and read that... of course, again we're talking about 1 individual and hardly enough to base a whole race on.

Damn, R.E.Howard, why'd you have to go and end your life so early and leave your great works to others to (attempt to) embellish?

I wonder if Michael Moorcock has ever attempted a Conan pastiche story. Seems like he'd give it at least as respectable a job as Robert Jordan did.
Back to top Go down
Simage

Simage

PostSubject: Re: This Conan find amazed me...   This Conan find amazed me... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 10:15 pm

I agree with you, much to the chagrin of my S&S cohorts...if there was a race that they would be descended from my guess would be the Stygians based on Moorecock's description of Yukoon ( dark skinned I believe) and the Melnibonean penchant for decadence and making pacts with demons and other powerful entities (Lord of Insects who's name is unpronounceable except in old Melnibonean anyone?). Wink

I think that one of the reasons (maybe) that Moorecock hasn't taken the leap into the Hyborian world more than "Hey wouldn't it be cool for Conan and Elric to meet" is a measure of respect for REH's work, though like you I think he would do it justice...but you have to give credit to Roy Thomas for staying in the "spirit" of REH in his story lines.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This Conan find amazed me...   This Conan find amazed me... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This Conan find amazed me...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sealladh Alliance :: Roleplay Realm :: Lore-
Jump to: